Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Getting Back on Track

It really stinks when life gets in the way of what you love best. For me that's riding my horse. And for those of you that know me, you know that already. I want to event and go on endurance rides and finish breaking my 2 year old.

Let me tell you about this 2 year old. Easiest kid I've ever trained. Broke him to the pony the other day in all of 10 seconds. We're going to start riding him and jogging him today and I know it won't take him long to figure that out either. He never even cared when we put the saddle on him the first time. Or drove him around the barn and yard. You can sit on him in the stall. No biggie. But at the same time, while you're working with him, you half expect an explosion because he can be quite the pisser. But maybe he just wants you to think he's miserable. For the last 30 days or so I've been working with him on and off. But now that the weather is nice more than it's not it's time to get back on track with him.

Same with his brother who has been on vacation all winter after a couple months at the track this past fall. He's a year older. Full brother to the 2 year old. They could almost be twins except that Curtis, the 2 year old, is about a whole hand shorter and lacks the muscle his older and un-gelded brother has.

Oh and for those of you that don't know me and haven't figured it out, I own Thoroughbred. A hot topic for debate I'm sure. But I don't care. I know how spoiled my babies are. I have a 5 year old on the track right now that will be racing for only his second time ever this Saturday. They are all babied and given all the time they need.

And then I have Twister. He's my 10 year old AQH. He's awesome. I rode him pretty hard for a month, got him pretty fit, and them life stepped up and gave me less time to work with him. I might have an actual job now. So I'll have to work even harder to find time to work with Twister other than just using him as the pony. Last summer I worked so hard to keep him fit to event. He's good at it. Especially the jumping. Especially cross-country. But this year, not having the means to go to events I have backed off my riding. Although what I should do is keep working hard until I DO have the means to event. Then when I finally make it to a show we'll be on the top of our game and clean up. Ideally..... And he needs to be very fit to do a CTR or endurance ride in October. Got to get back on track with him too.....

So hopefully in the future I'll have updates on all 4 of these kids and my adventures with them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment