Monday, July 9, 2018

Riding Curtis!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday afternoon my person got home for break early and it was a perfect gorgeous day for riding. In fact SJ and I had already been riding and I lunged Curtis. But I ran out and for the first time since he was a baby, I got on Curtis. Remember, he's been on layup for over a year and a half and has been doing ground work irregularly for 2 months. Saturday I got on in the stall and rode off and he was great.



I basically haven't been able to stop smiling about it. He has a big bouncy trot and naturally carries himself up hill. I was only on him for like 10-15 mins but he was great.



I've been on him every day so far, making today Day 3. He needs to learn to move off my leg better. He's a bit deaf to it. Which surprises me because my person exercised him and he rides off his leg and even gallops long so he can use his legs to ask for leads etc. He accepts bit contact pretty well though, although after I ask for a walk he wants to rip the reins out of my hands. But it's just bad habits and little things we can work on.

17 hands of handsome

I'm not getting my hopes up but I'd love to take him to the schooling dressage show in November. I have 4 months so as long as I don't slack off and go to a lesson or 2 off farm I might just be able to go without looking like an unorganized idiot.


throw back to his 1st ride ever, almost 5 years
ago


2 comments:

  1. aww yay!!! this moment has certainly been a long time in the making!! he looks super handsome trotting through those poles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D it's still not old 5 days in. and today my kiddo rode him. and he walked past things Twister still spooks at withouth a glance. with my 2 year old on him. <3 can't ask for more

      Delete