Monday, September 10, 2018

Barefoot....again....

Almost exactly 1 month to the day, both Twister's and Curtis' shoes came off. Despite bellboots. I'm cranky. I should be able to go AT LEAST 6 weeks considering they hadn't grown that much, they just were never on tight enough. Which of course you don't know half the time until everyone is barefoot.

Curtis I think can be phased into going barefoot 100%. He has hard little black feet with good concaveness. He can be tender now on the rocks but I'm hoping with a good supplement and lots of Keratex that can be fixed.

Twister is an effin mess. Which is why he ended up getting shoes back on after 3 years of attempting to make him comfortable barefoot. So I'm not really sure what to do about that. He has boots for trails off the farm. And our ride on Sunday is at the Horse Park and all grass so he should be fine for that. (OMG GUYS I'M RIDING AT THE HORSE PARK!!!!!!!! I know people do this all the time but I don't do this all the time and I'm excited!)

Rascal hasn't had shoes in a year or so. He does ok. His feet have grown up with him to where the boots he used at 2 no longer fit him. So maybe I should invest in new boots for him.

I'm just discouraged. You pay a good amount of money to have horses shod and the shoes don't last. And the guy that makes them last 6-8 weeks won't come out anymore. In the winter they legit last 3 months. Which means I'm going to have to start trimming on my own again. I am capable, it's just a job I'd rather pay someone to do it.

I'll probably have the new guy out to trim all 3 to give me a good bottom line to keep up with. Rascal is a 2 man job which means my person trims and I hold. And so far, Curtis has been fantastic about me doing his fronts on my own in the stall. Even using the stand. And remember, in March, he had to be tranqed. He's always had to be because he gets so nasty about his feet. But he's been great last couple times for shoes and for me to clean him up. Now to try the hinds......

I've heard great things about Tough as Nails by Tribute and we already use Essential K. My local feed store and finally started carrying Tribute and at a deal compared to some places. So I think I'm going to run out and get a bucket of that while I'm at it. For Twister and Curtis. Rascal does fine on air........... Crappy appys have the best feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment